Friday, June 15, 2007

El Piso Espanol





I am staying in a spare room in an apartment of a Spanish girl named Belen. Serena is staying in Belen’s other spare room. The apartment is about a 25 minute walk away from the school, which is good because I am counting the 50 minute round trip walk as my work out, and bad because it’s a 50 minute round trip walk. The apartment is located on the fourth floor, and there is no elevator. This fact was not well received by me when I had to carry my luggage all the way up upon arrival, nor is it my favorite thing at 2:30 in the afternoon when I’m four inches away from a heat stroke due to the 25 minute walk home from school. However, it makes for additional exercise, and since I am doing none of my usual work out, I have decided to count it as several sets of lunges daily. I’m going to have an amazing set of legs and rear end when I come home. Can you have a set of rear ends? I mean, technically you do, right? I digress…

The apartment appears to be a typical Spanish apartment. Since I’ve never, ever seen any other Spanish apartment in my life, I have to confess I made that part up.

We have tile throughout the apartment. Spaniards don’t normally have carpet, and this is a fact because la profesora me ha dicho….um… the teacher told me. There is no air conditioning, but it has been cool enough that so far it hasn’t been necessary. We open windows, and they don’t have screens because…there aren’t bugs…? I can only infer this as fact, but so far I’ve only seen moths and one dead cockroach in the street on the way to school. We three share a bathroom. There is a living room, and a kitchen. The kitchen is approximately equivalent in size to the one in Barbie’s Dream House, but it seems to work out perfectly for us, and as far as I can tell from my European travels, this is the norm in Europe. I’m not making that part up.

As I post this, it is Friday, and as I only seem to have internet access at school, you may have to wait until Monday for any new information (man) (That’s a Big Lebowski reference. See it.). Hopefully I’ll have a weekend full of adventures to report on Monday.

3 comments:

dede scott said...

Hello! I have been in SA all week and just got back. I love the pictures. It sounds like you are having fun and getting lots of exercise. Wow! That's a lot of walking. I will keep checking for postings. Have a great weekend! :)

Anonymous said...

Jeff Bridges sez: "I'm not Mr. Lebowski ... now YOU look like Mr. Lebowski... I mean, I'm the dude... man... I'M the dude!"

Anonymous said...

Okay, I was finally able to check my school e-mail to get this website. I was dying to know what you were writing. Cool pictures. I say we move there next year. Why not? You walk to school, thats so cute. I'm jealous of all the exercise your getting, i'm going to have to crank it up over here. So how's the food? What are you eating? What are you going to cook for me when you get back? Laterzzzz